Great Lengths : The Aftermath //

Tuesday 23 February 2016





After Great Lengths

L-Natural Hair Before
R- Natural Hair After


After 24 weeks of having Great Lengths extensions in my hair, I couldn't wait to get them removed! At this stage, the bonds become 'matted' from sleeping on one particular side and I found that they started to itch. The feel of the bonds in my hair became uncomfortable after a while also.

In saying that, I think GL extensions are fantastic quality and I could have easily kept them in for another 2 months. This is because I looked after them and maintenance is key for their upkeep.  Brushing is an essential part to keeping your locks looking luscious and it involves a bit of work. Brushing it in layers while hitting all the roots twice a day is a requirement. If you don't brush them regularly, I found that they looked matted and certainly don't shine like my natural hair. 

PROS

1. There was no damage to my hair, yes, it felt thinner and so much shorter than i remember but that was because i was used to having lots and lots of extra hair! Another reason was Post-Partum, it is completely natural to lose hair 3-6 months after giving birth. It might explain why my hair looks so much finer in the 'after' image.

2. They hold curls better than natural hair meaning styling is very easy. I never used a styling product on them either.

3. Getting GL hair extensions is very quick, 2.5 hrs to be exact.

4. Added volume, length and thickness without looking fake. 

CONS

Apart from the obvious cost of the hair extensions which can range from 600-1200 euro depending on quantity / salon / stylists etc, there are other 'hidden' costs.....

1. You must use a sulphate-free shampoo to cleanse- The GL shampoo and conditioner retail at about 28 euro each. I used a Kerastase Sulphate-Free shampoo and conditioner. You can't let your hair dry naturally which I hated! 

2. The GL brush can retail at 35-50 euro.

3. You will need to revisit your salon, where the stylist will use a specially formulated Great Lengths removal gel. When applied this gel gently breaks down the bond and with the removal tool, the extensionist is able to slide the bond down your own hair with no damage. The removal of the bonds start at 75 euro. 

4. Hair can be matted, itchy and the bonds can start to feel uncomfortable after a few months as the natural hair grows. 

5. I lost approximately 15 bonds in total as well as shedding, just like your natural hair would shed.

6. Say goodbye to getting a salon to blow-dry your hair! Most salons e.g., PeterMark , have strict policies that they will not wash / colour etc any hair extensions. This was a huge con for me. 

7. While you can colour you hair, It's not easy finding a salon to do it. For me, I only ever get a T-bar so the bonds weren't affected but those that get their hair coloured may need to consider this. 


Overall, the experience was really positive and none of my hairs were hurt in the process. If you have the cash and the will to invest in some hair extensions, I couldn’t recommend Great Lengths more highly!

Have you tried GL extensions?




No comments:

Post a Comment