Introducing Isla Rose //

Tuesday 17 November 2015

We welcomed our little Isla Rose on November 5th 2015 and she is just perfection. We are in awe of her!

    "Isla (eye-la) is a feminine given name traditionally of primarily Scottish usage, derived from "Islay", which is the name of an island off the west coast of Scotland. It is also the name of two Scottish rivers"




She looks just like big sister, Arabella!


The second time around, I felt things were progressing much quicker than my first pregnancy. When pregnant with Arabella, I never felt as much as a twinge and was 42 weeks pregnant when induced. This time, I knew the baby was slighter bigger and had experienced 'braxton hicks' and felt the baby's head was low down and there was constant pressure.



My waters broke very early into thursday morning (I wasn't even sure if it was my waters) and I had 'period like' cramping straight away but nothing too severe. I wasn't sure if I should call the hospital but when I did, they said come in immediately. 

When I arrived , I was immediately examined to see if my waters had indeed broke and was given an injection of 'Pethidine', which is given in the early stages of labour for pain relief. There was no time for waiting around, I was already in full labour and went from 3cm to 8cm very quickly.

The delivery was certainly scary without pain relief as I was fully aware of exactly what was happening. With Arabella, I had an epidural and had a full chat with midwives during delivery! This time , it was happening very fast and Isla Rose arrived at 10:58am weighing 7lb 9.5 ounces and 19.5cm long.

She immediately felt much smaller and more delicate than Arabella , but then she arrived 2.5 weeks earlier. 
At 12pm, she was breastfeeding and there was no problem latching on, she just took to it immediately. Breastfeeding is so much easier second time around. 

The one difference between both labours was the recovery after.  Twenty minutes after birth, I could get up and walk as if nothing had happened. It was the most bizarre feeling!
I can't believe how quick the recovery has been and I think the second time around, your body just adjusts quicker.

On her first night, she slept from 2:30am -10:30am! 
The last few days have been great as she is still sleeping at night, usually 6/7 hours. I hope it continues but who knows at this early stage.

Bringing home a perfect little baby is such a miracle, in light of all the news items and horror stories regarding childbirth, it is definitely something that we don't take for granted. I don't think you worry any less the second time around!

Big sister, Arabella, is definitely having to adjust to a new baby in the house. She is very gentle and kisses & hugs her all the time!  Hopefully, there is a lovely age gap meaning in the next few months, Arabella will be able to 'play' with her new sister and form a lovely bond.

Sisters 





No comments:

Post a Comment